roostr ("roostr", "we", "our", "us") is an online service that allows users ("you") to rate and review a property, respond to reviews as well as search for new properties to rent.
We understand that providing information online involves a great deal of trust on your part. We take this trust very seriously, and make it a high priority to ensure the security and confidentiality of the personal information you provide to us when you visit our Website or use our services.
- What information we collect from you
- How we use your information
- With whom we share your information
- How Long We Keep Your Information for
- Your rights and choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- How we protect your information
- External links
- How you can contact us
What information we collect from you
We receive and store any information you enter on our Website or give us in any other way. This includes information that can be used to identify you as an individual or to contact you directly ("personal information").
Personal information includes information you provide us such as your first and last name, telephone number, postal and email addresses, user name and password, and billing information (such as your credit card number, cardholder name, and card expiration date). We may also request information about your property, location and renting preferences.
You can choose not to provide this personal information to us, but in general some information about you is required in order for you to use roostr. For example, only registered members are able to post rental reviews and respond to reviews. In addition, some information is also required in order for you to ask us a question or initiate other transactions on our site.
Other information we may choose to collect may also include details such as your IP address, information identifying your device, and website browsing history to the extent that information is about you.
Information About Others
If you are going to reference indviduals using their name such as housemates or landlords, you must have their consent prior to using any of their personal information. If you do not have consent and we are asked to remove a post, we will remove it without notifying you.
We have partnered with Facebook to provide personalized content on roostr for members of Facebook. If you are logged into Facebook and roostr, roostr will be personalized for you when you visit the Website, even if you are a first-time user of roostr’s Website. For example, we will show you reviews that your Facebook friends have posted on roostr and places they have lived. In order to provide you with this personalized experience, Facebook provides us with information that you have chosen to make available pursuant to your Facebook privacy settings. That information may include your name, profile picture, gender, friend lists and any other information you have chosen to make available.
Automatic Collection of Information.
We automatically collect some information from your computer or Device when you visit roostr. For example, we will collect session data, including your IP address, Web browser software, and referring website. We also may collect information about your online activity, such as content viewed, pages visited, and searches and/or reservations facilitated or made. One of our goals in collecting this automatic information is to help us understand the interests and preferences of our users and customise your user experience.
Location Information and Other Information from Devices.
When you use an Application on a Device, we will collect and use information about you in generally similar ways and for similar purposes as when you use the roostr website. In addition, we may collect information about your location if you have instructed your Device to send such information to the Application via the privacy settings on that Device, or if you have uploaded photos tagged with location information. We may use the location information collected from your Device or photos to enhance your use of the Application by providing you with relevant content and contextual advertising. For example, we may use your location to show you reviews of properties near you when you are traveling. You can change the privacy settings of your Device at any time, in order to turn off the functionality to share location information with the Application and/or the functionality to tag your photos with location information. Please note that turning off location sharing may affect certain features of our App. If you have any queries about the privacy settings of your Device, we suggest you contact the manufacturer of your Device or your mobile service provider for help.
Cookies and Other Web Technologies.
We collect information via cookies and other similar technologies (such as web beacons). Cookies are small text files that are automatically placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit almost any website. They are stored by your Internet browser. Cookies contain basic information about your Internet use. Your browser sends these cookies back to the site every time you revisit it, so it can recognise your computer or mobile device and personalise and improve your site experience. Read our cookies policy
- To help us customise the content, experience, and advertisements provided to you on our websites and App and on other websites across the Internet. For example, when you access a web page, a cookie is automatically set by us to recognise your browser as you navigate on the Internet and to present you with information and advertising based on your apparent interests.
- To help measure and research the effectiveness of features and offerings, advertisements, and email communications (by determining which emails you open and act upon).
The Help portion of the toolbar on most browsers should tell you how to prevent your browser from accepting new cookies, how to have the browser notify you when you receive a new cookie, or how to disable non-essential types of cookies. Please note that if you refuse to accept cookies, you may not be able to access many of the tools offered on our site.
How we use your information
roostr uses the information we collect about you for the following general purposes:
- for registration and to manage your account, including to allow your access to and use of our site;
- to communicate with you in general, including to provide information about roostr
- to enable us to publish your reviews
- to respond to your questions and comments;
- to measure interest in and improve our products, services, and Website;
- to notify you about new features and products available from us that may be of interest to you in accordance with your marketing preferences;
- to otherwise customise your experience with roostr, including customising the ads shown to you;
- to solicit information from you, including through surveys;
- to resolve disputes or troubleshoot problems;
- to prevent potentially prohibited or illegal activities;
- as otherwise described to you at the point of collection.
If you have signed up either as the owner of a property or as a tenant, we will send you email messages at the email address you provide to us.
We want to make it easy for you to take advantage of rental opportunities on our Website. One way we do this is by sending you email messages that contain information about your property interests in accordance with your marketing preferences. For example, if your marketing preference is to receive email marketing messages, then if you search for a house in Bournemouth on our website, we may send you an email message with the latest properties available in this area. We believe these email messages will provide you with useful information about properties you might be interested in helping you to cut the time spent searching for a new rental home. Please note that you will have the opportunity to choose not to receive these email messages in any such email we send.
Please unsubscribe from any emails at any time to stop receiving marketing emails.
With whom we share your information
We will not share your information with any suppliers or third party vendors.
How Long We Keep Your Information for
We may retain certain information associated with your account in our archives, including for analytical purposes as well as for recordkeeping integrity. The periods for which we retain your information depend on the purpose for which we collected it and we use it.
We will not retain your personal information for longer than is necessary for our business purposes or for legal requirements. We may retain some information for a period of time after you have closed your account with us, for instance if this is necessary to meet our legal obligations or to exercise, defend or establish legal rights.
Your rights and choices with respect to the collection and use of your information
- You can choose not to provide us with your personal information, although it may be needed to take advantage of certain features offered on roostr.
- You have the right to ask us what personal information we hold about you by contacting us at the address below (see "Contact Us" in the footer), and we may charge a small fee for providing you with this information.
- We endeavour to ensure that your personal information is relevant to its intended use, accurate, and complete. You can also review, add or update the information you have provided to us by visiting your account settings page on our Website.
- You also can add or update information and close your account as described above. If you decide to close your roostr account, we will deactivate your account and remove your profile information from active view as well as any reviews or responses.
- You can close your roostr account by contacting us. We will send you an email to confirm your request. Please note that after you close an account, you will not be able to sign in or access any of your personal information. However, you can open a new account at any time.
- When you register as a member of roostr you will have the opportunity to provide us with your marketing preferences, and will be given a choice as to whether you want to receive email marketing messages from roostr. As a registered roostr member, you can modify your choices at any time by emailing us.
- Whether registered as a roostr member or not, you also will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from promotional messages in any such email we send.
- Please note that we may send you other communications, including service announcements, and administrative messages relating to your roostr account.
How we protect your information
We want you to feel confident about using roostr, and we are committed to protecting the information we collect. While no website can guarantee security, we have implemented and maintain appropriate physical, administrative, technical, and organisational measures to protect the personal information you provide us against unauthorised or unlawful access, use of disclosure, and against accidental loss, damage, alteration or destruction. For example, only authorised employees are permitted to access personal information, and they only may do so for permitted business functions. In addition, we use encryption when transmitting your personal information between your system and ours, and between our system and we employ firewalls and intrusion detection systems to help prevent unauthorised persons from gaining access to your information.
roostr is a general audience site and does not offer services directed to children. Should an individual whom we know to be a child under age 18 send personal information to us, we will delete or destroy such information as soon as reasonably possible.
How you can contact us